Re: How to create a DBMS from scratch?

From: Anthony Youngman <Anthony.Youngman_at_ECA-International.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 04:04:13 -0800

"Tony Ms" <tony_at_montgomery-smith.org> wrote in message news:<arbofj$ssl$1_at_knossos.btinternet.com>...
> Visit http://www.xmldb.org/

Or www.maverick-dbms.org.

You commented particularly about XML ... Note that putting XML into a relational database is nasty because most DBMSs can't handle nested data that well. Certainly I've heard that at a recent PostGreSQL conferences the people working on that DB have just thrown their hands in the air and walked away from the problem.

But MaVerick is a multi-value database, one of the Pick family (look also for the IBM databases UniVerse and Unidata, known collectively as U2, for jBASE, D3, mvBASE, Mentor Pro ...) and we keep having deja-vu every time we look at this sort of thing. Pick has thought in an XML paradigm since it was first designed, as the system known as GIRLS, in the early-to-mid 60s.

So if you want to get into an environment where the XML way of thinking is second nature, look at the Pick-MultiValue stuff. We've been doing it for nearly forty years (not me personally, I'm not old enough :-)

Cheers,
Wol Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 13:04:13 CET

Original text of this message