Re: Importance of the normal forms

From: Seth Brewer <fieury_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:33:21 GMT

> What people *should* do is check if they can proceed
> to BCNF and 4NF and still remain
> dependency preserving.

Hi, sorry to jump in, but I'm struggling with all this 3nf/BCNF stuff. When you say "proceed" to BCNF, I was under the impression the BCNF was "less" normal than 3nf. That is, the FDs and CKs replace the need for some table splitting. When you go from 3nf to BCNF are you typically creating more tables or fewer? BTW, If I'm sounding really stupid, it's because for the most part I am.

Thanks,
Seth