Re: Normalization: primary key or any key

From: Bert Blink <bblink_at_pcug.org.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:49:17 +1100

On 17 Nov 2002 09:23:25 -0800, sicotom_at_eresmas.com (Juan Pardillos) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've read several texts about normalization. Sometimes, the "primary
>key" term is used to establish the normal forms constraints. However,
>other times only "key" is used. I think the second one is the right
>one

Yes

, as it doesn't matter if the determinant of a functional
>dependency is the primary key or any other possible key in the
>relation.

In fact as long as all Determinants are Super Keys (ie contain a Candidate key(s))

>Am I right?. Please, clarify me this little question I have.
>
>Thanks in advance

Bert Blink
PO Box 720
Belconnen ACT 2616 Australia
+61-02-62541341 (h)
  0427 541344 (mobile) Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 01:49:17 CET

Original text of this message