Re: Is possible to conserve the dependencies here?

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be>
Date: 18 Nov 2002 00:09:02 +0100

Juan Pardillos wrote:

>in the relation:
>
>PROVIDER(PROVIDER_ID, STREET, CITY, STATE, ZIP_CODE)
>
>there are the following dependencies:
>
>CITY, STATE, STREET -> ZIP_CODE
>ZIP_CODE -> CITY, STATE
And

  PROVIDER_ID -> STREET, CITY, STATE, ZIP_CODE I presume.

>Is it possible to decompose the previous relation and automatically
>preserve both functional dependencies?.

Sure. For example:

 PROVIDER(PROVIDER_ID, STREET, CITY, STATE)  ZIP_CODE(STREET, CITY, STATE, ZIP_CODE) But probably you meant "can I reach BCNF and preserver both of them?" and as you can check for yourself, this is not in BCNF yet. Continue the normalization process and you will find the answer.