Re: database design method

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 01:23:26 +0200

Jan Hidders wrote:

[...]

> Sorry that this is so abstract, but it takes a lot of time to explain this
> properly. If you want to know more:
>
> Jan Van den Bussche, Dirk Van Gucht, Marc Andries, and Marc Gyssens. On
> the completeness of object-creating query languages (extended abstract). In
> 33rd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 372-379,
> Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 24-27 October 1992. IEEE.
>
> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/420972.html

OK, thanks. I plodded through the paper, but it was a bit too heavy for me (my algebra is kinda rusty). Is this bound to be a serious problem for normal database users, if such indentifiers are not provided for?

A note on object identifiers: The "Other Orthogonal" Proscription nr.2 in Manifesto (www.thethirdmanifesto.com) proscribes the use of object id's. Frankly, I don't know how the term is usually used, say in the context of the previous article (it was mentioned only once), but while we are on the subject I would like to point out a presentation by Darwen where he describes the subtyping scheme of the Manifesto and also makes (in my opinion) a convincing case against object id's (in the sense that they are used in the Object Oriented world).

Presentation: http://www.TheThirdManifesto.com/taamoti.slides.pdf

Also Date's keynote address in this year's VLDB touches on the subject:

 http://www.cs.ust.hk/vldb2002/VLDB2002-proceedings/slides/S01P02slides.pdf

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Fri Nov 15 2002 - 17:23:26 CST