Re: Need help with normalizing

From: Mike Sherrill <>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:41:39 -0500

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 02:04:57 GMT, "Seth Brewer" <> wrote:

>I'm building a menu database which eventualy will allow people to order a
>meal by date. Only certain meals will be available on certain dates, but
>certain meals may be available on many dates. To make things worse I want to
>have the main courses and sides in separate tables so that they can be mixed
>and matched many-to-many.

You need to record the fact each meal is available on specific dates. So a table of MEAL_AVAILABILITY seems to be in order.

Bare bones . . .

 PRIMARY KEY        (mainCourseID, sideID, DateAvailable)
 FOREIGN KEY        (mainCourseID, sideID)
   REFERENCES MEALS (mainCourseID, sideID)

You'll have to flesh that out and translate that into your dbms's language.

Mike Sherrill
Information Management Systems