Re: database design method

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:27:56 -0000

"Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be> wrote in message news:3dd150e1$1_at_news.uia.ac.be...
> In article <aqrg41$olq$1_at_sp15at20.hursley.ibm.com>,
> Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote:
> >
> >Do you have a reference that explores the err, 'pros/cons' of recursive
types?

> In some sense all the research that is being done on storing semistructured
> data or XML in databases is basically an exercise in storing nested data for
> which we don't know the nesting depth.

Thanks Jan.
I was afraid that you'd point me in that direction. I notice that the latest Systems Journal is dedicated to 'Information Integration' and includes a number of XML+Relational articles. I guess I should bite the bullet and see what the great and the good have been upto on reconciling a extremely messy language with relational. :-)
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj41-4.html

> What is also interesting is the work in type theory that was done already in
> the past (thing Algol) on recursive types. That turned not to be so
> difficult as one might expect. Think subsumption for DFAs. If you want a
> reference for more recent work:
>
> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/amadio93subtyping.html

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 12:27:56 CET

Original text of this message