Re: which softeware can create database?

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:29:39 -0500

"Jan Hidders" <> wrote in message news:3dd01ee1$
> Bob Badour wrote:
> I found the "Wrong" too simplistic here and that's why I reacted.

I did not see the original context of the "Wrong", and you could be correct.

> >I find your insistence that criticisms of the relational model are
> >valid--even when founded on the non-relational properties of
> >SQL--intellectually perverse.
> I have never criticised the relational model because of properties of SQL.

If you have never defended such criticisms, then I misjudge you.

> If you think I did then point me to where I did and I will clarify. If you
> think that any criticism on the relational model is perverse, no matter
> well-founded it is, then that says probably more about your intellectual
> attitude than mine.

I have never said such nor do I think such. What does that say?

> Note by the way that most of my criticism has been directed at the
> over-simplified arguments that are used to defend it here and the
> uncritical way in which Date and Darwen's views are regarded by some, and
> not so much at the relational model itself.

I don't see what's wrong with a simple argument for a simple issue. Granted, some issues are ill served by oversimplification. If you want to highlight complexities, expand discussions, nudge people to explore new territories, please do. I don't find your recent approach with Leandro very constructive, productive, effective or illuminating. You seem to have kept it up for a while. I do not understand what you get out of it to keep going.

> As far as my criticism on the model itself is concerned, (which is
> very little) you seem to think that this means that I'm against it or even
> on the side of "the likes of Carl". I hope you will realize one day that
> world is a bit more complicated than that.
> -- Jan Hidders

I know you are not against the RM and I already know that you do not really side with the likes of Carl, which is why I find some of your apparent behaviour perverse. Of course, a lot goes on in a newsgroup and I may be confusing things. I apologize if you feel I have maligned or mistreated you.

Bob Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 21:29:39 CST

Original text of this message