Re: which softeware can create database?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:35:54 -0000

"Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be> wrote in message news:3dcfef30$1_at_news.uia.ac.be...
> Paul Vernon wrote:
> >
> >Date was a keynote at this year's VLDB.
>
> I know, I attended SIGMOD this year so I skipped VLDB but I got the report
> from my collegues who did attend and had already seen the slides, but thanks
> for the pointer anyway. That doesn't mean they necessarily agree with him
> though, just that they would like to hear his view on things.

OK.

Care to summarise what the database research community does not agree with Date about?

Looking in from the outside, it could look to some that as Date is not a fully fledged member of the research community (by, I guess, at least partially his own choose) then the people within the community have more disagreement about exactly that non-membership (and the reasons for it) than with his actual views on the relational database model.
But that would just be the view of someone peering in from the outside ;-)

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 12:35:54 CST