Re: Decline of Science: Computer Science and Databases

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:21:27 -0000

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote in message news:aqhihs$eum$02$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Leandro Guimar„es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> > > Obviously, since you know SQL and S.O.D.A. is new.
> >
> > No. Since SQL is simple, logical and relatively concise. Compare that
> > to your long-winded, complex statements.
>
> I think you didn't look exactly.
>
> SQL doesn't support the features I posted.
>
> (1) How would you query for *all* rows in *all* tables that
> contain the column "name" ?

SchemaSQL is one approach to tackle that kind of 'problem' (I think). Go google.

> (2) SQL doesn't know what interfaces are.
>
> (3) It is not possible to execute server-side Java code from
> within a query statement on most SQL databases that I know.

Pretty sure DB2 can do that (Java UDFs), but it's not my area.

> (4) How would you query for a regular expression?

Get re's into the SQL standard. It will happen, just don't know when.

> (6) In the UNION example I posted, the WHERE clause is used
> for both "tables". Imagine a more complex query with a dozen
> classes and a dozen constraints. In an SQL UNION statement
> you would need 144 WHERE expressions, S.O.D.A. only needs 12.

If the WHEREs are all the same, do the UNION first, then restrict the result. A good optimiser will push-down the where clause if performance is your thing.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=%3C9cefr7%24acp%2407%241@news.t-onli ne.com%3E
> (see the end of the posting)
>
> The statement was generated with a query generator because SQL
> statements of this order of complexity could not be built by hand.

Humm, nice SQL. Obviously the db design was not good, but again I wonder if SchemaSQL would help on that example. (Not that I'm overly sure that SchemaSQL is good idea itself, but it's certainly food for thought for us SQL folks)

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 12:21:27 CST