Re: View updating in practice?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:06:19 +0000

In message <m2of9087s0.fsf_at_pcwi1068.uni-muenster.de>, Jens Lechtenbörger <lechtej_at_uni-muenster.de> writes
>Dear reader,
>
>I wonder if anybody uses view updates in practice and if so what
>kind of updates on what kind of views.
>
>Personally, I believe that view updates are dangerous in most
>situations as users cannot understand what is going on.

They aren't supposed to know, or to need to know.

>1. Do you use view updates? What is the scenario?

Yes I do. I don't usually tell the users whether they are updating a view or a table, and in any case I reserve the right to change that.

>2. If you do _not_ use view updates, did you at least think about
> using them? If so, what was the application scenario and why did
> you not implement it (e.g., no support by DBMS or too complicated
> for users)?
>3. Does anybody use SQL:1999 INSTEAD triggers to implement view
> updates?

I've used them to update tables when the RDBMS wouldn't let me update a view.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti