normalization - two linked fields in one table

From: Trooper <andrew_zx5_at_NOSPAMyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:40:41 GMT

I'm setting up a small web based program to help manage "Tasks" between family members. Kind of like Bugzilla, but on a way smaller scale.

My problem is that a "Task" has two fields in it that relate to the same table:

Task

TaskID
assigned_to

poster_id

User

UserID
name

assigned_to and poster_id are linked to the UserID. What this means is that it
should be keeping track of who posted the task and who it's currently assigned
to.

This works in my head, but then I try to write a query and can't figure out how
to pull a name from the User table for each of the two fields in the Task table.

If it matters, I'm using an MS Access database (I told you it was small-time),
but I could just as well use mySQL if I have to.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. Trooper

10-Nov-2002