Re: ObjectStore vs. SQL server

From: Undercover Elephant <9rowzn01i001_at_9rowzn01i001.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:28:23 +0000 (UTC)

"Anat" <member_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:2030241.1036935198_at_dbforums.com...

> My C++ server code currently uses ObjectStore 4.0. When thinking further
> into the future I have to decide which type of database to use -
> 1) Upgrading my code to ObjectStore 6.0. (Still using DDE for
> client-server(DB) tranactions)
> 2) Removing ObjectStore from my code and using SQL server instead.
> (Separating the DB from the server)

For 2), how tightly do you use ObjectStore? How large is your system? A couple of years ago, I looked at migration issues from OODBs to (O)RDBMS. It has been done and at least one company has developed some tools.

> There are advantages and disadvanges for both.
> One of the major disadvantage of ObjectStore is the uncertainty of its
> support in the future versus SQL server.

Hmm... have you heard something that says support for ObjectStore may diminish?

> Two of the disadvantages in removing ObjectStore and replacing it by SQL
> server are the amount of work to do this replacement and the question of
> performance (For example,ObjectStore offers automatic links for online
> update of data on the UI).
>
> I would appreciate comments about which database to choose.
>
> I would also appreciate suggestions of other ODBMSs like ObjectStore,
> that in more confidence may have support for the years to come.

None of the major vendors are particularly large, though some have been around for 10+ years (e.g. Versant, Objectivity). Some of the vendors have diversified to other areas (e.g. middle-tier caching, XML).

> Thanks,
> Anat
>
> --

Akmal B. Chaudhri
Zone Editor, Special Projects (Eclipse, Grid, Web Services)
IBM developerWorks - http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks/
WebDatabases ------- http://www.btinternet.com/~webdatabases/