Re: Requirements for update languages?

From: Jens Lechtenbörger <lechtej_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: 09 Nov 2002 23:48:30 +0100

hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be (Jan Hidders) writes:

> Jan Hidders wrote:
> >In article <m2k7jo87eh.fsf_at_pcwi1068.uni-muenster.de>,
> >Jens Lechtenbörger <lechtej_at_uni-muenster.de> wrote:
> >>
> >>Basically, the anonymous referees did not buy (2) and (3).
> >
> >That suprises me a little, because I'm not sure that this is really so
> >relevant. I would say that sometimes you want a view that behaves as if it
> >is the entire database. If you have a syntactic decidable characterization
> >of when exactly that is possible then that is an interesting result.
>
> However, after looking a bit around I found:
>
> Georg Gottlob, Paolo Paolini, Roberto Zicari: Properties and Update
> Semantics of Consistent Views. TODS 13(4): 486-524(1988)
>
> http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/journals/tods/GottlobPZ88.html
>
> From the abstract (I don't have the SIGMOD CDs here at home) I get the
> impression that what they did is very similar to your work. Did any of the
> referees mention this?

No, they didn't. I know that paper. They relax the restrictions of constant complent translators and propose weaker ones, but I don't understand the justification. Thus, I see them in a row with view update approaches that allow too many updates.

Jens Received on Sat Nov 09 2002 - 23:48:30 CET

Original text of this message