Re: View updating in practice?

From: Jens Lechtenbörger <lechtej_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: 09 Nov 2002 23:44:35 +0100

71062.1056_at_compuserve.com (--CELKO--) writes:

> >> I would be delighted if anybody out there was willing to share
> their experiences with me. <<
>
> The SQL-92 standard is actually very conservative about what VIEWs are
> updatable. They have to be based on:
>
> (1) a SELECT statement on one and only one table; this can go thru
> several layers of VIEWs on top of VIEWs, however.
>
> (2) The VIEW must include all the columns of a key (i.e. a UNIQUE or
> PRIMARY KEY constraint) in the base table
>
> (3) All columns not shown in the VIEW must have default values or be
> NULL-able (if you think about it for a minute, this lets you construct
> and insert a complete row into the base table).

I don't even agree with this. If wouldn't want a user to delete from a projection that includes the key if s/he is not allowed to select from the underlying table. Just because s/he doesn't know what exactly is being deleted.

Regards,

Jens Received on Sat Nov 09 2002 - 23:44:35 CET

Original text of this message