Re: Requirements for update languages?

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:23:09 GMT

On 08 Nov 2002 15:26:14 +0100, "Jens
=?iso-8859-15?q?Lechtenb=F6rger?=" <lechtej_at_uni-muenster.de> wrote:

>while there are some criteria to assess relational query languages
>(adequate, relationally complete, optimizable) I wonder what makes a
>good update language for a data model.
>
>In particular, I wonder about the following points in SQL.

The problems starts here because SQL is not relational.

>1. I believe that SQL data manipulations are not adequate for bags,

A bag is not a relation and the Relational Model represents data in relations and only relations.

Then SQL is not relational and it could be called "bagational" :-)

With bags the view update problem is very diferent, and a lot more complex.

Alfredo Received on Sat Nov 09 2002 - 14:23:09 CET

Original text of this message