Re: What is integrated?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 18:32:19 -0000

"Scotty" <invallid_at_invalid.spam> wrote in message news:0ucnsu4p1a30feev13v556269hjhfbfmh3_at_4ax.com...
> Hi all, I'm just writing a paper on the Operational Data Store's role
> and am a little unsure as to what is being referred to as 'integrated'
> As in;
> Subject oriented
> Integrated
> Volatile
> etc..
>
> Would I be right in assuming that integrated would mean that two data
> types are merged to one? As in a date format medium to long or a byte
> to a Varchar?

I think you will find that 'Integrated means the you need to integrate multiple *databases*, which means more things that 'integrating data types (although that is usually one of the tasks).

Also you do not show a good understanding of what a data type (aka domain) actually is. The things you mentioned are physical storage concepts not data types. Here are some data types

Boolean
TimePoint
UnicodeCharacterString
Mass
Length
Dollars
Euros
TimeDuration
Rational
Integer
PersonId
ISO3166Country

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Fri Nov 08 2002 - 19:32:19 CET

Original text of this message