Re: Decline of Science: Computer Science and Databases

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:41:32 +0100

codingwizard wrote:

> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
>

>> Finally, a question: One of Codd's requirements for a Proper
>> relational database is rejected by Date (and hence Dataphor). Can
>> you name it? Does this mean that Dataphor is a TDDMS rather than an
>> RDMS?

> Were Codd's original requirements necessarily perfect? If so, why
> have people deviated from them in any way whatsoever? If not, isn't
> possible they and the theory could be improved?

        I know these are rethorical questions, but just to make the points clear: Codd's original twelve rules are not perfect, but you can deviate either by pure and simple violation (SQL) or by improvement (TTM).

        Thanks for the soapbox!

--
  _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93