Re: super type & sub type

From: Malte Finsterwalder <finsterwalder02_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 18:49:07 GMT

On 5 Nov 2002 13:20:51 -0800, Yasaswi Pulavarti wrote:

>I have successfully created a super type and 4 subtypes. How do I
>populate the tables with my application? Do I just ignore the super
>type table and populate the sub type tables? Let me know.

Are you talking about SQL-99 user defined data types in the database? And of SQL-99 table hierarchies?

Or are you talking about super-/subtypes in your OO programming languages and a mapping to pure relational structures with SQL-92?

I'm asking, because SQL-99 supports super-/subtypes and multiple tables inside a hierarchie automatically, while in a SQL-92-Database you will have to keep track if the hierarchie yourself.

Greetings,

   Malte Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 19:49:07 CET

Original text of this message