Re: MySQL or Oracle

From: Finarfin <finarfin_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:07:57 -0500

Jayne Heger wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I am just wondering what you all think of these 2 databases. In
> terms of their ability to support the relational model.
>
> I am asking as I have used Oracle SQL*, but am going to be trying
> out MySQL phpMyAdmin soon.
>
> Which do you think is best and why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jayne

I would seriously consider Firebird or SAB Db or PostgresQL before MySQL. Each is open source (so free as in beer yada yada) and they all are closer to a true RDBMS than MySQL. Having said that, a fanatic by the name of Leonardo may jump in here and point out that Alaphora is the only database sanctioned by God, D&D and Fabian. For you purpose, it is not open source (so not comparable to MySQL), is a .NET program so won't run on any non-microsoft servers and is untested except by the vendor. You may want to look at it inspite of Leonardo's apparent loopiness. The company selling it is called Dataphor.

In terms of your original question, MySQL is better because it is free. Oracle is better because it is commercial. Both statements are equally valid. You need to assess your overall needs.

JE Received on Wed Nov 06 2002 - 19:07:57 CET

Original text of this message