Re: super type & sub type, interested too

From: Yasaswi Pulavarti <yasaswi_at_encfor.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2002 07:09:01 -0800

Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message news:<Xns92BDAC64DF596pingottpingottbah_at_209.189.89.243>...
> Jayne Heger <hegerthehorrible_at_hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Yasaswi Pulavarti wrote:
> >
> >> I have successfully created a super type and 4 subtypes. How do I
> >> populate the tables with my application? Do I just ignore the super
> >> type table and populate the sub type tables? Let me know.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Yasaswi
> >
> > What database application are you using to do this? (Oracle or
> > MySQL) I ask as I'm going to have to do the same soon, funnily
> > enough with one supertype and 4 subtypes! - I would imagine that as
> > long as you have referntial integrity, i.e. foreign key values in,
> > then it should be ok, although I don't know as I haven't done this
> > yet.
>
> How about you put together a simple example of what you both are
> trying to do. This way I (we?) can respond with concrete examples.
>
> Thx!

super type : shipping_document table with doc_id, doc_type_id, shp_id, as keys.
sub types: house_bill_of_lading, master_bill_of_lading,
house_air_way_bill, master_air_way_bill

Now should my application populate the shipping_document table and the 4 subtypes, or should I just write to sub type tables as per the type of shipment.

Thanks,
Yasaswi Received on Wed Nov 06 2002 - 16:09:01 CET

Original text of this message