Re: database design method

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:07:59 GMT

On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 08:59:59 +0100,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Leandro_Guimar=E3es_Faria_Corsetti_Dutra?= <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br> wrote:

>>> I think It would be more logic to do the opposite.
>>

>> You mean attach an ER diagram to the list of rules? That would be
>> very strange since the ER diagram defines the universe of discourse
>> for the rules.
>
> Obviously he means to write the full model, from domains to relvars and
>constraints, and then choose specific portions that need to be
>graphically represented as ERDs or whatever.

Yes, domain and relvar definitions are also constraint definitions or rule definitions if you like more.

And ERDs are never necessary, but it may be useful in order to give a quick view.

And ORM diagrams seems to be better than ERDs in all cases.

Alfredo Received on Tue Nov 05 2002 - 23:07:59 CET

Original text of this message