Re: database design method

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 08:59:59 +0100

Jan Hidders wrote:

> Alfredo Novoa wrote:
>

>> Do you mean to attach a written list of rules to the ER diagram?

> Yes.

        "That's the most stupid thing I ever heard!" -- BillG III.

        What that gives one?

>> I think It would be more logic to do the opposite.

> You mean attach an ER diagram to the list of rules? That would be
> very strange since the ER diagram defines the universe of discourse
> for the rules.

        Obviously he means to write the full model, from domains to relvars and constraints, and then choose specific portions that need to be graphically represented as ERDs or whatever.

        I wonder what ERDs gives us besides yet another fuzzy way of thinking and nice presentation. Good for ppt slides for PHBs, but hardly useful for serious designs.

--
  _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93