Re: How to create a DBMS from scratch?

From: Art Pollard <pollarda_at_lextek.com>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 23:35:08 -0600

"Michael Gast" <mig-sm_at_web.de> wrote in message news:3DABC7BC.3040601_at_web.de...
> Hi Alan,
>
> look on firebird.sourceforge.net. Firebird is a free RDBMS and you can
> study all sources. In addition, i suggest you to have a look on the book
> 'Fundamentals of Database Systems' from Ramez Elmasri and Shamkant
> Navathe, published by Addison Wesley.

I agree with this recommendation.

This is an excellent book and perhaps one of the best books in the field. Transaction Processing (which someone else recommended) is also quite good but in many respects, Fundamentals ... is probably a bit better.

I find it interesting that there really aren't that many books on actual database
implementation. There are plenty of books on _using_ a database system but very few on the workings of database systems themselves.

-Art

--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/