Re: Database naming convention (yet another post of it, but a bit different)

From: Larry Coon <larry_at_assist.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:49:51 -0800

Greg Boland wrote:

> But let's say we always use singular. Do we lose anything? I think not.
> And if we say Table Employees (plural), does each combination of attribute
> instances (of course I mean the identifer(s)) describe all employees? Well,
> of course not.
> So I am back to a table name (or an entity name) that names the class of
> things described. Singular. Person, Department, etc. And it is perfectly
> legit to have a table with one tuple. How would you name this? Plural?
> So let's go back with singular Entity and Table names.

Agreed. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: plural names confuse the set with what is contained in the set. A table is a set. The table name refers to the table, and therefore to the set. There is one set -- e.g., the employee set is a set of employees. Since the set is singular (THE employee set), the name, referring to the set, is also singular.

Larry Coon
University of California
larry_at_assist.org
and lmcoon_at_home.com Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 15:49:51 CST