Re: Database naming convention (yet another post of it, but a bit different)

From: Larry Coon <>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:49:51 -0800

Greg Boland wrote:

> But let's say we always use singular. Do we lose anything? I think not.
> And if we say Table Employees (plural), does each combination of attribute
> instances (of course I mean the identifer(s)) describe all employees? Well,
> of course not.
> So I am back to a table name (or an entity name) that names the class of
> things described. Singular. Person, Department, etc. And it is perfectly
> legit to have a table with one tuple. How would you name this? Plural?
> So let's go back with singular Entity and Table names.

Agreed. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: plural names confuse the set with what is contained in the set. A table is a set. The table name refers to the table, and therefore to the set. There is one set -- e.g., the employee set is a set of employees. Since the set is singular (THE employee set), the name, referring to the set, is also singular.

Larry Coon
University of California
and Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 22:49:51 CET

Original text of this message