Re: Decline of Science: Computer Science and Databases

From: Leandro Guimar„es Faria Corsetti Dutra <>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:58:16 +0100

Finarfin wrote:

> You are "not particularly good, lack a formal CS education" and yet
> have the gall to rant at particulary intelligent people, such as Mr
> Hidders? Are the rants of Fabian your sole source of education on
> databases?

        Actually I read nearly everthing I could get my hands at from not only Fabian Pascal, but also David McGoveran, Hurgh Darwen, Christopher J Date & Eduard F "Ted" Codd.

        Who's Hidders? How and when I "ranted" at him?

> Finally, a question: One of Codd's requirements for a Proper
> relational database is rejected by Date (and hence Dataphor). Can you
> name it? Does this mean that Dataphor is a TDDMS rather than an
        As Date and others pointed out, Codd's 12 rules are obsolete, his being too sick to participate in the field for a decade now. One can still hold his positions, like the requirement for I-marks and A-marks, but should be prepared to defend all the ensuing complexity of supporting 4VL.

        If you wish, you can try to differentiate between a TTM RDBMS and a "Codd's 12 rules" RDBMS. But I doubt someone will ever create a "C12R" RDBMS. Perhaps the FirstSQL guys, namely Lee Fesperman? That would be an interesting question for him.

/ \ Leandro Guimar„es Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93
\ /        fax +41 (21) 216 19 04
  X      Orange Communications CH
/ \ Campanha fita ASCII, contra correio HTML      +41 (21) 644 23 01