Re: Theory of Timeseries extensions to SQL and database

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2002 19:07:48 -0700

>> Frankly that sounds a bit like marketing speak to me. <<

I have worked with Kdb and the numbers are very good, very real.

>> Obviously reading the whole table into memory is going to be faster
if it only contains the time series data you need, but you can get that arranged in any relational database. <<

No, you assemble a table from columns (see also Nucleus from Sand Technology), so you only bring in the columns that you need rather than an entire row. Nuclues goes a step further and stores domains, from which you built columns, then use the columns to build rows. The database can get very small and VERY fast for large volumes.

The idea of building a table from rows is a way of imitating a record-oriented file system. When uyou strt to think of the SCHEMA as a whole as your unit of work, the world changes. Received on Sun Oct 27 2002 - 03:07:48 CET

Original text of this message