Re: Business-logic in 3-tier architecture

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:09:56 +0300

Would'nt it be nice if the constraint for a column, once defined in the database would somehow automatically migrate itself into the client, so the constraint could be enforced immediately and automatically after the user has entered the value in the user interface?

  • No need for coding the checking twice
  • No round trip necessary to verify entry

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen

Greg Boland wrote:

> Whether 1-tier, 2-tier, n-tier, the DBMS is the final judge of what gets in.
> In real world experience, I find it useful to edit the data on the front-end
> (guessing at what the DBMS will accept or reject) and then try to send
> useful data to the database. It is then up to the DBMS to accept or reject.
>
> Best case for all, but junk still gets in
>
> "Arthur Yeo" <ayeo_at_acm.org> wrote in message
> > Theoretically, everyone knows that business logic is supposed to be in the
> > middle-tier according to the 3-tier architecture. This seems to be
> > counter-intuitive to Active Database concepts such as putting business
> logic
> > in triggers with help from store procedures in the DBMS (which are all in
> > the 3rd-tier of the 3-tier architecture.)
> >
> > Question: do you guys know of any guidelines (or may be even stds)
> proposed
> > to decide when certain business logic is better put in the backend (DB
> > triggers/stored procedures)?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Arthur

 Lauri Pietarinen, Senior Consultant, Databases

 AtBusiness Communications Oyj, Kaapeliaukio 1, FIN-00180 Helsinki

 tel. +358-9-2311 6632,  mob. +358-50-594 2011,  fax +358-9-2311 6601
 http://www.atbusiness.com,  email: lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com