Re: How are unlimited fields stored?

From: Lennart Jonsson <lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se>
Date: 23 Oct 2002 09:17:43 -0700

"stu" <smcgouga_at_nospam.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ap5mue$s7m$1$8300dec7_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> How are large unlimited fields stored? I think im right when i say if you
> have a TEXT(30) and only use 3 chars the dbms will physically layout 30 char
> space before the start of the next record. This is fine but how does the
> dbms handle memo fields that can be huge?
>
> Cheers
> Stu

I seem to remember that text and memo are part of access (which I dont have). Anyhow, normally there are text fields that allow varying length as well. For example varchar(xx). The principle is that the length of the data is kept together
with the data. Thus the db nows how long the data actually is. The overhead is of course the extra bytes that is needed to remember the size.

HTH
/Lennart Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 18:17:43 CEST

Original text of this message