Re: Lame Question

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2002 13:06:10 -0700

>> I would like the resulting DB to be very flexible in terms of being
able to
use logic to change "number of servings", metric or standard, etc. <<

Why not just buy a consumer software package with a lot of recipes already there and an interface to add your own? I hate re-inventing the wheel.

Many years ago, I applied for a job with a company that did commercial recipe software. It was really trickier than I thought. Real chefs use weight to measure dry ingredients, not volume. Recipes do not scale in a linear fashion; you cannot just multiply by the number of servings -- think about garlic, for example. Cooking time varies with mass and volume. Real chefs often work from the pantry to the menu -- your query is "Give me all the dishes I can make with what I have in stock." Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 22:06:10 CEST

Original text of this message