Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Nathan Allan <nathan_at_alphora.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2002 13:14:42 -0700

Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br> wrote in message news:<aoh78r$mj23d$1_at_ID-148886.news.dfncis.de>...

> > Let me pick on a SQL
> > (non-relational) product for a minute. MySQL's arithmetic operators
> > return null if there is an error/overflow.
>
> Choose another example. MySQL is not compliant to any level of any
> version of any SQL-related standard. It is simply an indexed file
> manager with a pseudo-SQL-like language for its main interface.

I appreciate what you are saying, but my point isn't really directed at the SQL standard, so much as the entire class of problems inherent in the pseudo-3vl style of "nulls". I choose this example from MySQL as a classic illustration of the horrendous types of logical problems that such nulls invite.

Mostly irrelevant aside: Although MySQL may be distant from the standard, they have stated their intent to achieve full compliance on their site.

Regards,

--
Nathan Allan