Re: weak entity

From: Ashutosh Galande <galande_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:02:10 -0700

I totally agree with you. But what I don't understamd is, if adding external ID attribute to inherent attributes of an entity doesn't make it strong entity then we are fraught with a number of weak entities in real life. I have seen it to be a common practice to use ID attribute for entities. These attributes, as you noted are generated with additional processing outside the database. But still the ER diagram represents these entities as a strong entity. So why this anomaly?