Re: Best Practise Question

From: Bernd Deichmann <bernd.deichmann_at_poet.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:26:42 +0200

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:28:49 +1000, "Thomas Lenzen" <tlenzen_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is best practise for using/choosing RDBMS/ODBMS/ORDBMS ?
>and
>How is it possible to back-up the selection ?

My key points are:

If you need public access to the data itself, e.g. for other applications, this is a strong point for a RDBMS. (If you need to share data located in an ODBMS, it can be a very good solution is to do this on the level of business objects. But in real life this only works if all these applications are designed in that way.)

If you need a database component for a single oo-application, an ODBMS is a good choice because it can save a lot of development time. I think this is also true for ORDBMS, but I have no experience with that. O/R-Mapping-Tools on top of RDBMS are also a good choice.

If your oo-application has to store complex objects (inheritence, object networks), the performance of a pure ODBMS is far superior to any RDBMS and therefore the top choice.

Database size, number of clients, reliabilty etc. are important if you look at specific products, but not for a general technology decision. You should find a database that matches your requirements in any categorie.

Bernd Deichmann, Poet Software GmbH Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 16:26:42 CEST

Original text of this message