Re: Data conversion between various schemas

From: Jeff Tan <jtanNOSPAM_at_csse.monash.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:37:20 +1000

Clio is indeed a leading product/technology in this field.

I'm curious to know, however, if the data conversion is once and for all or if it must be via a dynamic system on top of the existing databases.

In the absence of sufficient budget (wasn't clear from the query if this was an issue at all), my hacking instincts would make me try using a static application that connects to the databases via JDBC and converts the data via SQL. I'm talking about abandoning the original database, though, and there would be wide assumptions about the conversions that the application is capable of. In fact the application may have to be rewritten for every pair of databases to convert between.

Full-blown prototypes that are a lot more dynamic do exist. Try searching the web for the following keywords:

multidatabases, federated databases, schema mapping, schema integration, intelligent integration of information

Some major projects I've heard of, aside from Clio, are:

AURORA (Uni of Alberta, Canada)
TSIMMIS (Stanford Uni, IBM)
Ariadne and SIMS (Uni. of South California) CARNOT and Infosleuth (Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp.) OBSERVER (EHU, Spain)

You can find papers for them at:

        http://citseer.nj.nec.com/cs

Good luck!

cheers,
Jeff

--
Jeff Tan				        Ph :(61 3) 99031405
Computer Science & Software Engineering	        Fax:(61 3) 99031077