Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:57:29 -0700

"Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:ann8d5$129s$1_at_sp15at20.hursley.ibm.com... It is the semantic (interpretation, significance) of the RM
>>that is within the 1st order logic, when you say that a tuple
>>is to be _interpreted_ as a proposition.

>>I believe this confusion also led you to talk past each other
>>with Paul vernon on the subject of view updates.

>I resent that, I was not aware of anyone talking past me on that subject,
>especially not Nathan. I did say 'Sorry you lost me' to Jonathan Leffler
>at one point, but that was actually only on the disjoin Venn diagrams
>comment.

>Also, I've no idea what that first sentence means - probably just a
>semantic issue :-)

It was precisely a semantic issue. It is Chris Date that had the insightful observation that view updatibility is primarily a semantic issue ) So that I'm affraid that view updatability is all about semantics .

Best regards,
Costin Cozianu Received on Sun Oct 06 2002 - 00:57:29 CEST

Original text of this message