Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:40:59 +0100

It is the semantic (interpretation, significance) of the RM
>that is within the 1st order logic, when you say that a tuple
>is to be _interpreted_ as a proposition.

>I believe this confusion also led you to talk past each other
>with Paul vernon on the subject of view updates.

I resent that, I was not aware of anyone talking past me on that subject, especially not Nathan. I did say 'Sorry you lost me' to Jonathan Leffler at one point, but that was actually only on the disjoin Venn diagrams comment.

Also, I've no idea what that first sentence means - probably just a semantic issue :-)

>How can a user express the knowledge "Either A or B" ? He can't in
>your model as pointed out by Paul Vernon.

So the Relational model cannot express "Either A or B"? Wow, you learn something useful every day on this group. Keep those pearls of wisdom coming Paul Vernon. I'm really hanging on your next one. Can't wait. Maybe it will be "the RM cannot express ')(*&$")(*^"!£)(!_£^"!(£"!£)("!^$)(*&"!^£'", 'cus I'm sure as eggs is eggs that that's true.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Sat Oct 05 2002 - 19:40:59 CEST

Original text of this message