Re: Structure problem

From: Jackal <c_jackal_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:08:59 +0200

"RayK" <keattchr_at_pissbtinternt.com> wrote in message news:Xns9295735D5F356raymondkeattchpisssc_at_10.0.0.4...
> Can anyone help with a problem with a database structure?
>
> I am writing a CV database. We need the facility to store more than one CV
> for each employee (we want to tailor an employees CV depending on the
> client they are going to) So I have the following tables...
>
> 1 Employee
> 2 CV
> 3 Job
>
> An employee has many CV's. A CV is for an employee
> A CV can have many jobs on it. A job can be on many CV's
>
> So I created a link table between CV and Job - JobHistory. Tables are
> linked like this (1-8 denotes 1 to many)
>
> Employee 1-8 CV 1-8 JobHistory 8-1 Job
>
> I met a problem when designing a form to creat a CV. One list shows all
the
> jobs done by that employee. An Add button allows jobs to be transferred to
> another list on the same form so the user can add only certain jobs to
that
> CV.
>
> Because no EmployeeID info is in the Job table I don't know what jobs to
> display on the CV form! I hope I have explained this clearly enough so
> somebody could suggest what my structure should be like!
>
> It seems wrong to creat a relationship between employee and job!

As I understand it an employee has done several jobs in the past and you want to be able to say which of those jobs wil be on each CV of the same employee.
then... jou have to create a relationship Employee 1-8 Job.

Employee 1-8 JobHistory (complete history of employe) Employee 1-8 CV
CV 1-8 JobHistory (partial job history for eacht CV)