ERM Design Question

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:36:25 +0200

Hello,

I would like to ask a question about a "star design" in an ERM.

E.g., many databases store personal data in a table like PERSON, and most of the
other tables like ADRESS, STREET (depends on how far it is normalized), and so on
are forming a "star" of FKs to PERSON. In some cases, the star becomes a "snowball" of FKs,
but it still has a crucial center table.

Now, if You have a big database of some GB, I feel that tables in the center of the star
become just the very bottleneck to performance, when every app (e.g. Oracle Forms and Reports)
are touching the center table.

Is a star like this either a goal or a no-no for a well performning ERM ?

I am not very much experienced in ERM desing, and I would appreceate any advice from this community.

Thanx in advance, Jan Received on Thu Sep 26 2002 - 20:36:25 CEST

Original text of this message