codegeneration / SQLparser

From: Tony <tbn99001_at_student.mdh.se>
Date: 25 Sep 2002 02:37:50 -0700

Hello
My name is Tony and I am doing my master thesis on the subject databases. Now Iam in the stage to únderstand code generation and precompiled queries.
This messege can be split in to parts first a need some help(litterature or links) that treats and explain precompiled queries.

Second I need help with a question that concern code generation. If we consider the basics in relational algebra we talk about two kinds of operators
Relational operators
-SELECT
-PROJECT
-JOIN
-DIVIDE

Set operators
-PRODUCT
-UNION
-INTERSECT
-DIFFERENCE
But a set of relational algebra operations is called a complete set, if and only if:
  Any relational algebra operator in the set cannot be derived in terms of a sequence of the others in the set. These operators are
called fundamental or primitive operators. The set of algebra operations that contains all fundamental operators as:
-selection
-projection
-union
-difference
-cartesian product

this gives as I understand five fundamental operations. My question is where can i find information on how each of these translates to C-code. The information i can find contain information on query optimizing but nothing about code generation or even a clue to where to find this codegeneration.
I have search for both an embedded SQL and ordinary SQl parser without any luck so if some know anything on this subject dont hesitate

Thanks Tony Received on Wed Sep 25 2002 - 11:37:50 CEST

Original text of this message