Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Nathan Allan <nathan_at_alphora.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2002 18:19:12 -0700

Here is a reply from C. J. Date. Any typos are probably mine, not Mr. Date's.
-Nate

Nathan Allan forwarded to me a message he had received from you, dated September 4th, in which you made some slighting references to work by Hugh Darwen and myself on type inheritance. I would like to respond to that message. Text in quotes is taken verbatim from you original.

"This is simply not true. There is no well defined and formal model
of 'type
inheritance' as part of the relational model. As you noted, relational model is kind of orthogonal to types."

Well, it isn't clear, is it, what your opening "This" refers to. Nathan EXPLICITLY said that the relational model and types are orthogonal (as you EXPLICITLY admit), and Darwen and I have EXPLICITLY stated in our Third Manifesto book and elsewhere that "types are orthogonal to tables" (see, e.g., the Third Manifesto book, 2nd edition, page 21); so you can't be suggesting that Nathan or we are claiming anything to the contrary; so that's not what you are stating "is simply not true." I have to conclude that what you think "is simply not true" is that there is a "well defined and formal model of type inheritance as part of the relational model." But since you agree that we agree with this statement, what exactly is it that you think "is simply not true"?

"Of course you're probably referring to Date&Darwen's proposal in
the Third
Manifesto, and is probably a value judgement to say whether that is formal and well defined, but within a safe margin we can say it doesn't meet the criteria."

I suppose that, in the final analysis, just about everything is a value judgment, and everyone's entitled to his or her own opinions (and values, come to that, within limits). In the field of science, however, it is generally accepted that we should strive for commonality--even universality--of opinion as much as possible. Thus,

to say, in effect, that in your personal opinion our proposal "doesn't
meet the criteria," without giving any indication as to what those
criteria might be, is not commentary worthy of a professional or a
scientist. Especially when you qualify that opinion with the phrase "within a safe margin"! <bold>At the very least you should point to specific parts of our proposal that you think are inadequate, and you should then explain specifically why you hold such an opinion.</bold> Then we and others can judge your opinions on their merits. As they
stand, your comments are unsubstantiated and unsupported, and to this reader, at least, they appear just a trifle arrogant. (And please note that they would appear that way to me even if I were not one of the injured parties.)

"But first of all you're using bad terminology, it's not 'type
inheritance', it is _subtyping_. Subtyping and inheritance are look-alikes but they should be treated distinctly. Type inheritance is the term Date&Darwen came up with after collecting almost all the bad references from the OO literature ... and almost no good one ... ."

Incidentally, I'd be interested (though not very) in learning how you know that "Date&Darwen came up with" the term <i>type inheritance</i>--regardless of whether or not we did so "after collecting almost all the bad references from the OO literature .. and almost no good one." My own recollection (and I was there, and you weren't) is that we didn't "come up with" the term at all. Rather, we were aware that the term was already being used out there in the community, and we wanted to see if we could make any sense of it. Myself, I think we did--more sense, in fact, than I perceived in certain portions of the literature.

"To get an idea what is needed to present a formal and well defined
type system proposal, and all the issues a type system needs to address you might want to access some very good introductory book available on the web" [specific references omitted here].

Maybe. Personally, I think it would be more helpful in the context of a commentary such as the one you were offering to Nathan to state some specific criteria and to show specifically where our proposal falls short with respect to those criteria.