Re: Nested set model with large gaps and spreads in the numbering

From: Mike <no-spam_at_code-foo.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2002 04:00:24 -0700

This is very interesting. I'm left wondering one important thing though, how can you choose when you should perform the compacting? I'm thinking of a threaded newsgroup application, one that's very, very busy (lots of posts). Eventually you need to compact, but once you compact, you end up going back to a cascading update when new posts arrive, so is there some happy middle ground? Or a rough hueristic to avoid bouncing between compacting & cascading updates? Received on Mon Sep 23 2002 - 13:00:24 CEST

Original text of this message