A Question On Many-To-Many Linking Table(s)

From: aleatory <aleatory_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Sep 2002 08:45:32 -0700

Hi all,

I'm learning database design by myself, and I have a newbie question about the following relationship:

     Table "Composers"
     composer_id (primary key)

     Table "CDs"
     cd_id (primary_key)

     Table "Performers"
     performer_id (primary key)

Many composers produce many cds, and many cds can have many composers. (Many-to-many). Also, many cds can contain many performers, and many performers can produce many cds.

According to some of the database books I have, they say that many-to-many implies a linking table(s).

Then I came up with the following linking table, but is this a good approach to design the database?

     Table "Comp_CD_Peform"
     composer_id (foreign key)
     cd_id (foreign key)
     perform_id (foreign key)

What I would like to do is search for a composer and his or her corresponding cds, or cds produced (performed) by certain performers.

Thanks in advance,

alea
PS
Also, if anyone could recommend a few practical and/or hands-on database design books, I would also appreciate your help. Received on Sun Sep 22 2002 - 17:45:32 CEST

Original text of this message