Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: mountain man <prfbrown_at_magna.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:12:22 +1000

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es> wrote in message news:3d8d15b4.990864_at_news.wanadoo.es...

> >> And why not the entire system with the portal?
> >
> >Perhaps I was not clear. The portal is an integral part of the
> >arrangement and exists as the user interface to the (R)DBMS.
>
> What I meant is that the database may be a good place for the
> information which define the user interface.

Of course, but usually the database and the user are physically separated by several layers of systems software and on separate machines. The portal is the client end of the arrangement.

> It is sometimes called database presentation rules.

Before that it was simply known
as a menu and security arrangement.

> >> But the data integrity is enforced using procedural code, and it is
> >> costly and error prone.
> >
> >While you may have such a view of such practice, let me assure you
> >that it is neither costly nor error prone when done properly.
>
> Well, what I meant is that it is costly and error prone compared to
> doing it declaratively.

Maybe we should compare quotes one day.

> > It is not
> >costly simply because once the checks are established, automation
> >kicks in and replicates the effect as long as the system runs for zero
> >cost.
>
> But the difficulty is in establishing the checks with procedural code
> instead of declarative statements.

Declaritive statements have their place, and limiting conditions or functionality or implementation. At some point, checks with procedural code will pay off by catching what falls through the cracks of the complete implementation of declaritive statements.

The checks are often simple procedure code, easy to write and maintain. They often save otherwise sophisticated systems.

> >Environment 2 consists of DB2, Oracle, SQLServer and the host
> >of other (R)DBMS software.
> >
> >I have no problem with the role Dataphor is assuming in its
> >endeavor to make RDBMS out of (R)DBMS.
>
> Ah, I thougth that (R)DBMS meant relational DBMS. If (R)DBMS means
> pseudo RDBMS then I agree :)

I use the series of ascii "(R)DBMS" to mean those environments currently provided by DB2, Oracle and SQLServer, etc

The R is bracketted to signify that separate threads exist for the discussion of relational theory.

> Regards
> Alfredo

Best wishes,

--