Re: Using joinfiles w/ large databases, referential integrity

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 21 Sep 2002 12:13:21 -0500

rhairgroveNoSpam_at_Pleasebigfoot.com (Bob Hairgrove) wrote in news:3d8c43cc.5995380_at_news.ch.kpnqwest.net:

> So my question to you is: How many people work with such large
> databases and still use constraints with referential integrity
> enforced through joinfiles? Is there another possibility? Or is it
> just too impractical above a certain size? What limits are
> considered too large for DB engine-level RI in the AS/400 and
> mainframe world?

Sounds like whomever designed this application was working on hearsay or some extremely old information. Today's RDBMS are very much industrial strength and can _easily_ handle RI in the many terabyte range. There are some challenges in dealing with VLDB's but it's nothing that cannot be overcome with sufficient disk space and CPU power -- which, if you're going to play in that arena, you should have.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com