Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:59:01 GMT

On 20 Sep 2002 14:24:36 -0700, nathan_at_alphora.com (Nathan Allan) wrote:

Hi

>> 1) 1st software system environment: Hardware OS and net OS
>> 2) 2nd software system environment: (R)DBMS <<-------|
>> 3) 3rd software system environment: (db) applications -->|
>
>There are many different ways we could draw lines between conceptual
>systems. Calling the "3rd environment" the "application" is bad
>terminology. The sum of all systems that together provide the service
>constitute the software application.

IMO the sum of all components that together provide the service constitute the software system.

Applications are a part of software systems.

>I presume you are including the user interface in this "3rd
>environment."

In DBMS based systems, applications are usually only user interfaces.

Basically a console replacement.

Alfredo Received on Sat Sep 21 2002 - 14:59:01 CEST

Original text of this message