Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Nathan Allan <nathan_at_alphora.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2002 11:42:44 -0700

"mountain man" <prfbrown_at_magna.com.au> wrote in message news:<NM9i9.35590$g9.100856_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...

> I agree with your earlier comments about SQL being there at the
> right time and place. You could probably summarise this by the
> remark that all computer systems software "evolves" in time.

Whoa... being in the right place at the right time best falls in the category of "politics", not technological innovation/evolution.

> Specifically, I see an entire new generation of database application
> "software" being written _exclusively_ using the RDBMS native
> utilities (largely stored procedures). The end-point of this evolution
> is a shift in the location of the (db) applications software environment.
>
> It will disappear from the current desktop/apps server environment
> external to the RDBMS, and move internal to the RDBMS. It will
> evolve in this manner because it is far easier to manage two systems
> software environments than three. For further detail see:

Your suggestions revolves around the assumption that today's DBMSs are a capable environment for application development. This is unfortunately not the case and is the reason that we have "application servers" and such. It is clearly desirable to remove the conceptual "middle tier" and reduce overall application complexity. However, this layer can only be eliminated by a aptly capable DBMS. Existing systems can be preserved, but only as a "storage engine" underlying a more capable DBMS.

I will respond more on your proposed "layers" in another posting...

--
Nathan Allan