Re: relationship in the database

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 20 Sep 2002 20:01:44 +0200

In article <am7m9j$dmc$1_at_sp15at20.hursley.ibm.com>, Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote:
>[snip]
>>Which is yet another reason why the ER model is better than the
>>Relational model.
>
>Ok, lets cut to the chase here.
>Is it not true that the ER model actually built upon the Relational Model?
>
>In Date's words 'a thin layer on top of the basic relational model'.

If you mean, can we translate an ER model to the relationa model, then yes, of course.

>If you agree what that, I can't see that it is meaningful to say one is
>'better' than the other, not in comp.databases._theory_ anyway - Occam's
>razor sees to that.
>?

Occam's razor speaks about theories that explain phenomena, that is not what we are dealing with here. The questions is if the model is natural in the sense that it corresponds with the way that people actually think about information.

  • Jan Hidders

PS. Sorry for being a bit brief but I'm currently visiting another

    university, and am very busy doing research there. Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 20:01:44 CEST

Original text of this message