Re: /!\ What's the best Database Design for such a problem ?

From: Francois Verbeeck <francois_verbeeck_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2002 00:49:01 -0700

First, thank you very much for your fast answer. I didn't think about the Alan's suggestion. It's impressive and clear and allow possible update concerning the "other class". Kieran's solution is clear too, I tried to solve this by doing supertype/subtypes class (see my posts on http://dbforums.com - pyrahna as nickname) but ... well ... i have to say that ...

How do you query such things ? I mean, as you will easily understand, the database design is huger than this little part i exposed. A sample gonna have a lot of analyses on it and each analyses will have a lot of tests on it. When i will be working on a test i'll be able to retrieve the analyse id and thus, the corresponding sample id ... well that's ok and now how will i know if it's a human, an animal or something else ?

Do i have to run this first query to retrieve all informations of the sample except the "source's informations" and then, run another query to retrieve the samples'source informations ? An union simply can be done cause there are various fields on each source's type and not corresponding data type...

I can't find a way not to do 2 queries instead of one (and i will be more than 2 for the second one because it will be like "if it's human go and see in human and retrieve this and this, if it's animal i need that and that and so on)

Any Idea ?

Best Regards

Francois Verbeeck