Database Design - Relationsships

From: Patrik <patrike_at_tigerline.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2002 23:04:48 -0700

*Primary Key

TimeLog      Customers    Projects
---------    --------     -----

*TimeLogID *CustomerID *ProjectID
CustomerID ProjectNo ProjectID CustomerID

You can enter a record in the timelog table without having a project e.g. an employee may do a job for a customer that does not have any project numbers.

I want to make sure if the user picks a project it is a project that has the same customerid as the entered customerid in other words: a Time log entry should not be able to have one customerid and a project with another customerid. I know how to prevent this in the GUI but I want to prevent it in the database design.

How should these tables be structured?

/Patrik Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 01:04:48 CDT